Jul 18 2012

“If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”

Whenever I post a new page or text post, it’s done through an editor – not how the users see it. Every once in a while I’ll look at my site as how a user would view it. I know pages are out of date (promise updates are coming soon), but it seems that some pages are just hard to access.

You know the saying, “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it”? I’d love to hear the users opinions of how accessible this site is – basically, can you find everything okay. I’m thinking of maybe rearranging some of the top navigation, especially with the Howrse Cup starting soon. Maybe I’ll remove some of the older pages under the “Extras” tab and add new categories. Yet there’s some sites that end up changing something, thinking it’s better, but it just makes it worse.

So is it broken or just fine? I really want to hear your honest opinion – feel free to comment as an anonymous user if you would like.

—–

I have created a new forum similar to the old one I had posted, if anyone remembers. The accounts from the previous forum are still there, so feel free to try that when logging in. You can access the forum at howrsehelper.com/hhforum

8 Responses to ““If it’s not broken, don’t fix it””

1. awesome_dudeon 18 Jul 2012 at 9:07 pm

I think this site is just fine — I can find the things I want pretty easily, and the quick links are very helpful.

2. Frobozzon 20 Jul 2012 at 2:51 am

It’s a great site, but yes it could use a reorganization. Some things are reached by top navigation yet others by quick links.

One issue is that some features, like the Divine Links, are specific to one server. That’s all well and good, if that’s the only info you have, but it should be labeled that it’s for X server to avoid confusion.

Regards,

Fro

3. Caitlinstpon 06 Aug 2012 at 4:47 am

I know Howrse and i lloovvee it i dont have a problem with it. AAll i think it needs is more UFOs flying around afterr today because of the water ballon fight.

4. Mowgion 08 Aug 2012 at 11:52 pm

I see some good, some bad. I own a server myself, and several sites. Here’s my take….

What needs fixing:
    -HTML Help and layouts could be combined. They are essentially the same on Howrse, as the forums use limited BBC rather than HTML.

What can be edited:
    -remove the drop-downs from the top menu buttons. This deters mobile users-such as myself. put all these links on a page that appears when you hit the button. It will essentially make the main version a co-compatible mobile version.

What might be cool:
    -a place for Divine owners to do Q&A on their divines. My bro won a mercury, and gets 30+ pms daily that are simply questions about it… he complains constantly.

That’s my take.
    Thor

5. Jessicaon 09 Aug 2012 at 10:19 am

Thanks for your input! I’ll think about the HTML and layout combination. And with the drop downs – I already have that. That’s how HH started out at first. You can click any button on the navigation and it will bring you to the master page with a list of all its connecting pages. It seems that not all users acknowledge this.

There is a little FAQ section at the bottom of the divine/special directory. I post the common questions that I get on the site there. If he has one to add, let me know!

Oops! Sorry about the special characters. The page wasn’t deleted but it was removed from the navigation. I don’t have the time to pull it up now, but you can try searching for “horse charts” in the search bar…I believe that was the page it was at. Or try howrsehelper.com/extras/ to try to find it that way.

6. Mowgion 08 Aug 2012 at 11:54 pm

oh, and PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE brink back the symbols list! Thats why I came here-to get the funny symbol i need to log my friend in while he’s gone!!

7. Mowgion 29 Aug 2012 at 3:44 pm

Okay, great! You know how hard it is to find the “Eur” symbol? 9 of the top ten sites on google under “symbols” don’t have it! D:

Raxtus says he will post his top five, and then redirect all questions here.

Here’s my catch: the Kindle Fire I have does not realize that. It thinks it’s a drop-down and has a tendency to freeze. I love the Fire but this little thing made me get back onto my pc.

Thanks so much! GOT IT! €

Mowgi

8. thewarrenranchon 18 May 2013 at 9:04 pm

I don’t know if you knew but your second button in one the left is broken, (picture says that it doesn’t exist).

I would say put the Divine & Special FAQ under Divines & Specials menu- so I don’t have to go to the FAQ and scroll down to the link to find it!